Searching for Doron Sheffer

Truth and fiction: From a year in Israel while searching for # 11

Monday, March 05, 2007

'neath the elms



The witty individuals at HUC seem to think it's really funny that I spent my undergrad years at a college named Trinity. I can't tell you how many times someone thought they were being creative and witty and say: Did you study with the father, the son and holy ghost?

I usually respond to them in one of 4 ways:

1. I punch them in the eye
2. I say Did you really study with a United States Supreme Court Justice?
3. I give a 10 minute soliloquy about the Trinity's religious roots (this bores them mightily -- they can't focus on anything more than 2 sentences long without reverting to thinking about themselves)
4. I punch them in the eye

Well my point of all this is that there are currently 3 bantams studying at HUC in Jerusalem. Classes of '73, '98, and '01. How you like them apples. Now I can truly imagine that some of the original founders of the great Hartford Institution must be turning over in some rather large graves knowing that this trio is learning torah and hebrew in the holy land.

One even more wild item about the Jerusalem "trinity" --- Liz (wearing a Trinity in Hebrew shirt in the photo) was my freshman year RA and her father worked with my grandfather in NYC.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other photo is me and liz at a soccer game. (notice the look on the face of the Israeli man on the bottom left, i thought about photoshopping it out, but rather enjoyed him being in our photo) About 15 of us went to the game including 4 older british men who waxed nostalgically -- in a language I'm not sure I understand -- about the first time they saw Sheffield take on Tontenham in '63. Even though three of them have been living in Israel for more than 20 years the accents are so crisp when they talk to other british mates, it's rather enjoyable.

I've seen some bloody boring football the last couple weeks. Anyone that says soccer is more exciting than baseball, needs to be seriously reevaluated. I spent a cold, wet evening watching 22 men wander around a soccer field and not score. Not only did they not score, one team was obviously not even trying to score -- believing that by playing only defense they would settle for a tie and take the 1 point that comes with it in the league standing. The last 180 minutes of soccer i've attended (and this is supposedly a decent league and i've been going to see the first place team) i've seen a grand total of 0 goals.

I'd rather watch the Millview 9 year old girls softball team warm up for the 4th of July dizzy bat race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home